Parent Core support at the Capital Airshow, Mather 2021
SACRAMENTO DIVISION PARENT CORE (SDPC)
The U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps is a non-profit, volunteer organization that relies heavily on parents to support the efforts of volunteer officers and instructors working with their children. With this in mind, parents should:
• Treat their cadet as though they are already leaders and encourage them to advocate for themselves, to allow them to grow in an atmosphere of wise freedom
• Encourage their cadet to be respectful of officers and adult volunteers
• Praise their cadet for his or her accomplishments
• Remind their cadet to listen to and obey instructions
• Be punctual in dropping off and picking up their cadet from USNSCC functions
• Do you have expertise in an area of skill the unit may need? Offer the unit assistance or your expertise
• Donate snacks or water for events
• Help foster friendships with other parents and cadets
COMMUNICATING WITH YOUR UNIT
Our unit sends announcements through email and through the member side of our Sacramento Division Sea Cadets unit website (www.sacseacadets.com). To gain access to the member side of the website, you must be a current member or a parent/guardian of the Sacramento Division/TS California unit.
The member side of the website is where you will find details for upcoming events and signups such as drills, community service, color guard, ceremonies, etc. You will find maps, times, locations, and uniforms required for any given event.
The creation of a personalized [with the first initial or name and last name] email account solely for the program is one of the first active requirements for a new cadet. This email address along with the parent/guardian email address(es) is the email that will be used for most trainings, announcements, questions, administrative needs, etc. The cadet is expected to check this personalized email account daily.
VOLUNTEERING FOR PARENT-INCLUSIVE ACTIVITIES
Not all activities or events are permitted for parent attendance, however, we do have events parent support is permitted. Parents who are a part of our Parent Core Support Group can assist in selected community service events, taking pictures (photography) at events, or contributing to the Admin office (with tasks such as helping prepare awards). The main purpose of the Parent Core is to support the unit as a whole.
REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN OUR PARENT CORE SUPPORT GROUP
To be a part of the Sacramento Parent Core Support Group, you must:
be a parent, or guardian of a cadet in the Sacramento Division or Training Ship California unit.
be above reproach, use proper language, refrain from gossip, and foul words
be able to disengage with your cadet during any Sea Cadet activity unless requested by the Commanding Officer
treat volunteers, officers, and cadets with respect by abiding by the USNSCC Regulation policies
Sign the Code of Conduct for Volunteers